We humbly ask you to defend CAN’s independence! It prides us to be a free independent source of information and we want to keep it that way.

Any amount helps :
 USD

H.R.369 - Defund Planned Parenthood Act

Photo of Congress member Representative Vicky Hartzler

To provide for a moratorium on Federal funding to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.



You might favor this bill if:
►  You believe the government should intervene and prevent any abortion procedures from happening, even if it means defunding Planned Parenthood, an organization which provides more services than just abortions. Not one person should have a choice to terminate a life.

You might oppose this bill if:
►  You believe that abortion is a choice to be taken by an individual and not the federal government. The federal government should not have a say in the choice over women’s reproductive rights. Planned Parenthood provides women more than just abortions, as it provides health care, sex education, and empowers young teens to prevent unwanted pregnancies.


The Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2019 would prohibit the availability of federal funds to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, or any of its affiliates or clinics, should they perform abortion procedures.

Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. (PPFA), or Planned Parenthood as its commonly known, is a nonprofit organization that provides reproductive health care in the United States and globally. Planned Parenthood consists of 159 medical and non-medical affiliates, which operate over 650 health clinics across the U.S.

The bill states that:
1) There are multiple entities that already provide health services to all persons, including women;
2) Most of these entities provide services to all persons, regardless of the person’s ability to pay; and
3) The funds that are no longer made available to Planned Parenthood will continue to be used for other eligible entities that offer health services to women.

There are some restrictions that apply. In cases of rape or incest, or where a physical condition endangers a woman's life unless an abortion is performed, the rule will not apply for such an abortion to be performed.

The legislation aims to force Planned Parenthood to stop performing abortion procedures, or else risk losing federal funding. Should Planned Parenthood violate the terms of this bill, the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Secretary of Agriculture will seek repayment of any Federal assistance received by Planned Parenthood.

According to Planned Parenthood's 2013-2014 annual report, abortion services encompasses 3% of their overall services. The other 97% of services breakdown in the following manner:
- 9% cancer screening and prevention;
- 12% other woman's health services;
- 34% contraception services;
- 42% Sexually Transmitted Disease testing and prevention.

H.R.369

Sponsored by: Rep. Hartzler, Vicky [R-MO-4].

Cosponsored by: 112 Rep / 0 Dem.

See list of cosponsors.


Have us contact your elected officials by voting your stance below:

Already a member? Please login to vote on this bill.

New to Civic Action Network?
Sign up for free
, vote on this bill and we'll call Congress on your behalf.